Playing Blackjack might sound easy, but it is not for beginners. If you are new to gambling and have no idea about Blackjack at online casinos, stay hooked with us because we will share every detail of the game with you. Even if you have some idea about Blackjack, you can continue reading this guide to get a clearer perspective. We have not just introduced the game from basics but also shared the expert strategies that can help you grab a decent win. Are you eager to know more? If you excitedly said yes, then keep reading!
What is Blackjack?
The first thing that you need to know is what does Blackjack means in general. Well, Blackjack is a card game where the gambler has to play against the dealer. Here, every player is betting against the dealer, which is unique in casino games. So, if you hardly know how a card game works, keep calm because we have got you covered. Read below to find out!
Introduction to a Traditional Deck of Cards
In Blackjack, a player needs to play using multiple traditional decks of cards. You will find 52 cards belonging to 4 categories in one deck, namely- clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades. The cards belonging to hearts and diamonds are red, and the ones from spades and clubs are black. Each shape has 14 cards in total, starting from ace to King. Logically, the ace is the first card of the deck. However, one cannot call it ‘one’ because it is named ‘ace.’ The King, Queen, and Jack are known as the face cards of the group. The rest are numbers.
We hope you have got the basic idea about a traditional deck of cards. Now, move forward to find out the scoring method in Blackjack.
What is the Scoring Method of the Game?
When you are playing Blackjack, you can ignore the suits altogether. What matters the most in this game is the number of symbols printed on the card. It is the primary factor on which one can decide the worth of a card. For instance, the general breakdown of the score is given below:
- Number cards: A card with a specific number has a score equal to its rank. For example, the card number 5 is equal to 5 points.
- Ace: The ace is either worth 1 point or 11 points.
- Face cards: King, Queen, and Jack are worth 10 points each.
When calculating the score, you will have to count the value of all the cards in your hand. The player or the dealer, whoever has a higher score, wins. If anyone scores 22 or higher in hand, then they get busted and lose the game immediately. This is the primary scoring rule in Blackjack games.
What is the House Edge of Blackjack?
While playing any casino game, a gambler should always be cautious about the house edge. Most games come with a higher house edge, and the potential loss is quite large. For instance, several slot games have a house edge of 20%. Now, if you $500 per hour, the 20% of $500 is $100. This simply means that the potential loss per hour is around $100, which is too much for many gamblers.
However, when you play Blackjack, the scenario is quite different and acceptable. Here, the house edge is as low as 0.5%. If we take the same example of betting $500 per hour, you will see that the hourly loss is somewhere around $2.50 in Blackjack. Compared to the slots, this is far less and profitable. This is the reason why Blackjack online games are becoming so popular these days. Players are more inclined towards Blackjack because they lose less and win more in these games!
Guide and Tips of How to Play Blackjack
Are you wondering about the steps of playing Blackjack? We get you! Below, we have shared the step-wise guide on how to play Blackjack. Have a look:
- The dealer starts the game once you place your stake.
- You need to buy chips using money and bet those.
- To buy the chips, put cash on the table in front of the dealer, and he will supply you with the chips.
- Place your bet in the form of chips within the circle on the front table.
- The dealer hands out two cards to each player, and the game begins.
- The cards in the hand of a player are either face down or face up.
- The dealer has both face-down and face-up cards.
- If the dealer has an Ace as a face-up card, the player can ask for insurance.
- After the cards are dealt, the dealer checks whether or not he has got a blackjack. In case he does not, the gamblers can play their cards.
The various ways a player can opt for while playing his cards are:
- Hitting: In this method, a player takes an extra card to increase the score. It is a hazardous method because if the score rises to 22 or higher, the player loses the game.
- Standing: If you decide not to take any extra card in hand, the method is known as standing.
- Splitting: If you have two cards of the same rank in one hand, you can take one card in each hand. This method is known as splitting.
- Doubling down: When you place an extra bet and take an additional card simultaneously, it is called the doubling down method.
- Surrendering: If you give up most of your bet amount, it is considered as surrendering.
Now that you know the basic gameplay of Blackjack online, let us help you with some expert tips to ensure you have an incredible experience while playing this game. We have shared a few strategies below; read on:
- Set a budget before the game starts: Successful gamblers are those who know how to set a betting budget. You cannot dare to spend more than you afford because in case your luck doesn’t favor you, you might end up losing all the money. Set a higher or lower limit of winning and losing, respectively. If you have already won up to the higher limit, collect the winnings and stop the game. The same goes for the lower limit. When you reach that, give up!
- Read the rules carefully: not every Blackjack game is the same. Some come with complex rules that need your attention. Hence, whenever you are playing a new Blackjack game, please make the effort of reading the rules. You can easily find all the guidelines under the ‘info’ section of the game.
- Stop spending on insurance: If you are a beginner, the insurance stake might look enticing to you, but in reality, it is not! It is of no use and leads to wastage of money. Hence, if you have been spending on insurance so far, then do not anymore!
- Read the payout table: Please do make sure that you check the payout table and policies before playing a Blackjack game in a casino. Every gambling house has its set of payment rules. Hence, reading them before joining would be an intelligent decision. Also, our gambling experts recommend that you choose the 3:2 payout because that serves better.
We hope this guide has helped you learn the basics of the Blackjack online game. As it is a game that requires skills, you might need to know more as and when you become an expert. Make sure you choose a reliable casino for any Blackjack game that you play. The best way to find out whether or not a casino can be trusted is by reading its online reviews. So, do tell us which casino you will choose for your next Blackjack round? Do share with us!
Viabonus Editorial Team